Aug 2015: HI ALL, Exam results are now out, or out this week!! I so hope everyone has done as well as they thought possible, with all the hard work paying off! However if things haven't worked out quite as planned , do not worry! there are plenty of different routes to get to where you want to go, remember your skills, what makes you you? do not feel you have to follow the crowd and go to university, there are other options, apprenticeships, work experience, voluntary work, travel to expand your knowledge and gain confidence, this would give you time to work out what you are aiming for and which career suits your personality.
this is an interesting article if things go slightly off plan! http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/poppy-jamie/exam-results_b_7981660.html?utm_hp_ref=a-levels&ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000067
If you are feeling low in confidence etc why not give suggestion therapy such as hypnotherapy or WSN a try and you would be amazed how quickly and effectively it can change the way you think, or just try some deep relaxation to give your mind some 'time out' from worrying!
best wishes Pippa
Sept 2015: Hi, Have you ever worried!!? what is worry and stress, how can you help stop the worry and stress :-
What is worry / stress/ anxiety?
WORRY is only IMAGINATION
Worry / stress/ anxiety are inter related and overlap
worry is a repetitive thinking or rumination, and functions to resolve threats or problems
most things we worry about aren't true, one explanation is that since we were worried about it, we avoided it and therefore we are kept safe.
anxiety is an uncomfortable feeling of fear or apprehension or dread, the feeling of something bad is going to happen
stress is a physical response to a threat, real or imagined, to meet challenges, like increasing heart rate, sweaty palms etc.
Most anger comes from things or people not matching expectations
good worry is worry that is solving a problem or has the potential to solve it
bad worry is circular, futile, and about things outside our control
worry can auto-suggest fear in something because you constantly think about it and can never change it.
How to help yourself decrease worry
serenity prayer "God grant me the serenity to accept things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference"
How do we get more wisdom when were not sure of something?
1. listen to wise friends or teachers
2. take time/ sleep on it , so you get a different perspective the next day
3. ask yourself: what would_( someone you admire or respect)__ do?(effective imagery technique), what would they say/do in this situation? or ask yourself what advice would you give to somebody else in your exact same circumstances
4. get involved in a relaxation practice ( listen to music, relaxing cds, 7:11breathing, meditation,yoga etc)
write down a list of your worries and separate them into 3 categories
1.) things you could change, 2.) things you cant change, 3.) things your not sure about
-if its something you can't change, accept it. Or try imagining what you would rather have happen instead, this increases positivity and focuses your energy on something more productive, whether it changes the outcome or not, it decreases anxiousness. Focus on where you want to go, not where you do not want to go
if it is something you can change, use imagination, imagery, and creativity to solve or deal with it and imagine succeeding in the task vividly.
practice these techniques often and they will get easier and become 2nd nature!
Hypnotherapy can help, and sometimes it’s easier to have someone to help guide your thoughts, please do contact me if you would like some guidance and a complimentary mp3 for relaxation with your first appointment
best wishes Pippa
July 2016 : School Holidays looming ........ this can be a stressful time as juggling work , children and everyday household jobs is difficult , time consuming and often gives no time for yourself.
a few tips to help you through these rather stressful few weeks:
1. Remember to look after your own mental well being first! as they say in airplanes while going through the safety briefing ' put your oxygen on first before helping anyone else' this is important , as you will not be any good for anyone if you are exhausted and stressed and then eventually ill!! so make time for what you enjoy doing to de stress, it could be a lovely relaxing bath with oils or bubbles or candles etc, or a walk in a beautiful garden /park or wood etc, or just listening to relaxing music or meditation , just take a small amount of 'time out' to re charge your batteries
2. Children do not have to be entertained every minute of the holidays, let them find something fun to do , or give them a challenge that will keep them occupied without too much input from anyone else. perhaps a treasure hunt for younger children e.g. the roundest stone, longest leaf, snailshell, prettiest flower , straightest stick etc etc anything that may fire up imagination and give everyone a little de stress time. some baking for an older person so you have a lovely afternoon tea to look forward to!
3. Keep your fluid intake up, jugs of cold water in the fridge just ready to be poured ( slices of lemon or cucumber make it extra refreshing), you will then not be diving for the sweet drinks and then feel guilty. this also goes for food, if you have fruit already washed and chopped in the fridge like strawberry, blueberry , pineapple etc or carrot, pepper sticks it is easy to dip into those rather than feeling you need biscuits and sweets which, long term, do not make you feel good!
4. if at work all day, with evening being lighter , try and get some exercise fitted in your daily routine, this will have a multitude of benefits, if you take the children out on a walk, as well, it will give you quality family time too! If you think it is the last thing you feel like doing, it probably means it is exactly the right thing to do!
5. Do not forget , if you are getting stressed just slow your breathing down , just five breaths taking longer to breathe OUT than in , will help you feel calmer immediately, and you will be able to face what ever challenges are being thrown to you!!
best wishes Pippa